Tuesday, June 5, 2012


Loss

I remember my Mom telling me after her Mother passed away how she would pick up the phone to call her when something would happen.  Holding the receiver in her hand she would remember her Mother was gone, the realization hitting her all at once.  Almost forgetting for a moment with the daily chaos, but there it was… the pain of loss.

I understand that now.  I can’t even begin to put a number on how many times since all this came out in January that’s happened to me.  Just going about my daily routine, diapers, playing with toy trains and fielding tantrums… and I almost forget.  I hear a song, or smell a smell, or see something… and there it is.  It stops me cold in my tracks like an invisible bat to my face.  I feel like the air gets sucked out of the room in a millisecond and I’m just stopped.  This IS my reality, this is my real life.  And I just sink instantly into the darkest place within myself.  The tears well up in my eyes and my fingertips tingle.  “How could he hate us so much, to hurt us so deeply” I wondered.  Us” the wife and child that loved him.  We were the two people at home that trusted him with everything.  I trusted him with my body, time, energy and pure true love.   The only things in this life I have to offer from me, truly from within me.  You cannot buy the “gifts” one person gives to another they are gifts above money.  He took those fragile pure gifts and broke each one, and actually never even turned around to see them shatter as he tossed them over his shoulder as he strutted down the street.  Further and further away from what really matters in life.

Here I am, after I super glue myself back together.  I kneel down with my little hand broom and dust pan and sweep up all the shards.  One thing that has been surprising to me throughout all the “crazy” is I keep finding little diamonds or some days just a piece of glitter in all the mess.  People that were never there before, or some that were and I didn’t know.  I have this plastic grocery bag full of broken pieces but I have an ever growing pocket full of beautiful, shiny treasures I would have never collected if I was not here sweeping.


8 comments:

  1. I'm kinda stunned reading this. Like it kinda stopped me in my own tracks. The breakdown that allows self discovery- its the ugliest, yet most beautiful thing. I'm glad you're seeing a glimpse of what we see in you! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. was. amazing.

    You. are. amazing.

    I can't wait to watch you grow and grow and grow... becoming even more brilliant and radiant than before.

    I love you. So much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read this I thought, wow, this is me...these are my thoughts. My experience. You are not alone. You are worth so much more than this garbage. You are precious and beautiful, and one day you will be valued as a priceless gift to someone. I'm so sorry that you have this nightmare in your life. You are strong like many of us who have gone through this hell. You are a woman and that is where your strength resides. Women by nature are fierce, strong, compassionate, forgiving, and celestial. You will have light and goodness in your life again. You will. And there are a slew of us out there who get it, who truly understand where you are at. Lots of prayers and love going your way:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How incredibly brave of you to put this out for others and for yourself. It's amazing to see you face this head on, it's so hard to do but I believe it will be very effective. I am in awe of you and will be praying for you as you start your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a beautiful writer. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Written beautifully. We love you and are cheering you on and here for whatever you need. You are in my thoughts always and I'll keep praying for strength for you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok I don't know what happened the first time i wrote a comment, i must have forgotten to publish it! Whoops. So here it is again.

    I was just remembering your sparkly eyes and the happiness that exudes from you. There is no doubt you will find a place of peace after such tragedy. I know it all seems broken, irreplaceable. you have begun the great metamorphosis. It is a crazy road. For me, limbo is a good place to be. It may seem unsettled but for me, my limbo was a good place.

    Love you like the amazing sister you are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely incredible. What an amazing writer you are.

    ReplyDelete